Whether it’s for a birthday, holiday season, or for no occasion at all, it can be tough to find the right gift for a senior citizen. Seniors have lived long, full lives, and they probably have just about everything they need. Here are some suggestions of what to give a senior in your life to brighten their day!
If you have a small budget or are trying to find a simple gift for an elderly acquaintance, you can’t go wrong with any of these:
- Games/Puzzles- they’re great for keeping motor function and problem-solving skills sharp while also being tons of fun. Consider large playing cards, chess, checkers, Jenga, or a puzzle.
- Comfort Wear- they can never have too many blankets, pajamas, or slippers to make them feel cozy at home.
- Plant- give a senior in your life something to brighten a room and give them something to be responsible for; they’ll feel good about watering it and think of you every time they look at the plant.
- Books- for a fun adventure from the comfort of their couch, give a good book they can curl up with and enjoy.
- Mug- to enjoy a favorite hot beverage, consider gifting a practical mug. You can find one with a sweet phrase to be sentimental, or a funny saying for the senior in your life with a great sense of humor.
- Gift cards- you can fit this gift into any budget, and they can use it on whatever they’d like. You can buy a gift card they’ll use to: spas, grocery stores, movie theaters, restaurants, and more!
- Favorite snack/treat- if you know the senior well, you’ll know just what kind of sweet treat they would enjoy.
- Coloring book- they’re great for practicing fine motor skills and let seniors be creative, and coloring books are very fun.
- Winter wear- help a senior keep warm with hat, gloves, scarf, or thick socks.
- Coffee, tea, or cocoa mix- whether you know what they like or aren’t sure, you can give them the gift of a tasty, warm beverage that they can enjoy whenever.
For the senior in your life that you know pretty well, consider a gift that they’ll use and enjoy.
- Independent living aids- there are so many tools out there like dexterity kits, reachers, and walker/wheelchair accessories that will come in handy. Show a senior in your life that you support their independence even if they need a little help.
- Exercise equipment- there are plenty of yoga balls, yoga mats, and light weights that can help retirees stay fit. Make sure the equipment is lightweight.
- Gardening/Grill tools- both gardening and grilling tools are incredibly useful, and they ensure that seniors are going outside to enjoy the sunlight while doing something they love.
- Reading glasses- your age can impact your eyesight. There’s nothing wrong with needing reading glasses, and since they’re easy to lose, you can’t have too many pairs.
- No lace shoes- it can get harder for seniors to tie their shoes, so offering them an option that doesn’t require bending over to put on or fine motor skills to tie could be just what they need.
- Favorite toiletries- save the senior in your life a trip to the store by getting them their favorite lotion, soap, shampoo, or hairspray. They’ll definitely use it and appreciate its practicality.
- Pill organizer- sometimes it can be hard to remember whether they’ve taken their pills or keeping track of them so these organizers can make it easier for them to keep their medications and vitamins in order.
- Fun, house décor- if you know a senior who hasn’t decorated in a while, they might like to update or liven their space with throw pillows, candles, seasonal décor.
- Hobby supplies- a senior you care about may love to do something artistic or creative, so give them some new materials to keep doing what they love. Whether they enjoy crocheting, painting, drawing, building, golfing, or any other hobby, you can find plenty of supplies they’ll enjoy using.
- Kitchen utensils- the kitchen is the heart of the home, so improve theirs with senior-friendly or updated kitchen utensils to keep them cooking and baking.
When you want to show a senior in your life that you love them, try a sentimental or thoughtful gift to bring a smile to their face.
- Handmade from grandkids- nothing would warm a grandparent’s heart like something handmade that they can enjoy and think about their grandchildren.
- Pictures- whether you use pictures for a frame, book, mug, digital frame, or blanket, your favorite senior can relive great memories or enjoy even more pictures of their loved ones.
- Donation to a favorite cause- if a senior is truly insistent that they don’t want any gifts, you can make a donation to their favorite cause or organization. It fits into any budget, and they’ll be happy to know that you’re doing something charitable in their name.
- Family experience- when the senior you love truly has everything, try gifting them an experience with their family to make more great memories together. Whether it’s dinner at a restaurant, a trip to the movies, or a day at an amusement park/fair, it will be priceless family fun.
- Memory journal- a good way to hear a senior’s life story is through a memory journal. They can write down their favorite memories, and some even have prompts in them to get a very full life story. They’ll love reminiscing, and you never know what you might learn about them.
- Music player- music can improve mood, so find a music player that fits depending on your favorite senior’s technological skills. If you know their favorite artist or group, it will bring them so much joy to hear their most loved tunes or ones they haven’t heard in a long time.
- Supplies to keep in contact- if your beloved senior lives far away or you don’t get to see them often, consider giving them stationary and stamps or a phone card to help keep in touch. They’ll love hearing your voice or receiving answers to their letters. These can ensure they know you’re thinking about them all year.
- Jewelry- for the trendy or fashionable retiree on your list, find some jewelry that will make them feel special. They’ll think of you every time they wear it.
- Guilt-free pampering- whether it’s at-home pampering supplies like a manicure set, a foot spa, or bubble bath soap, or it can be a trip to a salon or spa together, the senior in your life will feel special and loved with this gift.
- Financial Security- if you’re thinking about something for a loved one that is retired, consider an insurance policy or annuity that can help give your loved one peace of mind and financial security throughout the life of their retirement.
You can now shop with confidence for the senior in your life. Every senior on your list will appreciate the thought and love behind your gift.