2019 is now well underway, which means it’s time for a check-in on your New Year’s fitness goals.
If you’re still exercising regularly and hitting all your goals, then give yourself a pat on the back and keep up the good work!
However, if you’ve struggled to keep the motivation going, not to worry. You’re not alone. Statistics show that anywhere from 80% to 90% of people who join gyms in January in hopes of getting fit typically quit going within five months.1 We get it: It can be difficult to overcome the excuses that often pop up a few weeks into a new workout regimen, whether it’s sore muscles, crowded gyms or a full calendar.
Plus, the reality is, developing the habit of exercising regularly takes time. According to researchers from the European Journal of Social Psychology, it takes an average of 66 days to form a single healthy habit.2 (Which is much longer than the old 21-days-to-form-a-habit myth!)
If you’re needing a little help in exercising more consistently, fitness apps may be able to give you the motivation you need. Fitness apps help by reminding you of your goals and prompting you to follow through on them. Some also feature extra tools to help you succeed, such as calorie calculators or video workouts. Daily nudges from a fitness app on your smartphone might be just what you need to maintain your daily fitness habits!
There are thousands of fitness apps to choose from, so we’ve done the research for you. Check out these 11 fitness apps to find the motivation or daily prodding you need to meet your fitness goals. Many of these apps are free to download, although you may need to make in-app purchases to unlock all of their features.
- 7 Minute Workout — If you struggle with maintaining a workout regimen because you’re too busy, then this app is for you. The app’s seven-minute workouts feature 12 research-proven exercises that are performed for 30 seconds with 10 seconds rest intervals. You can do this quick set of high-intensity training nearly anywhere and with nearly no special equipment. The app guides you through the process, tracks your results and makes it fun by allowing you to unlock rewards as you continue to exercise.
- 8fit — If you need a lot of guidance, reminders and instructions for achieving your fitness goals, 8fit is for you. This app creates personalized workouts and meal plans for you to help you reach your fitness and wellness goals, whether you’re trying to lose weight, get fit or gain muscle mass. 8fit workouts take just 15 to 20 minutes and can be done anywhere without special equipment, while their meal plans are tailored to your dietary needs and preferences.
- Couch to 5K — The name says it all! This app is great if you’ve wanted to try running, but don’t know where to start. It features a nine-week program that gives you three 20- to 30-minute workouts per week that get you ready to run a 5K. Use it to prep for a fun run, or to just get in shape.
- Daily Yoga —I f you’re interested in trying yoga, then be sure to download Daily Yoga. This app features 50+ video workout classes to suit yogis from beginner to advanced. Not only will this app help you make yoga a part of your daily routine, but it will also provide health benefits for both your mind and body.
- Endomondo — This activity-tracking app helps you make the most of your walks, runs, rides and other workouts. Track your workouts using the app’s GPS feature, analyze your stats and reach your fitness goals. Plus, the app’s global community of fitness enthusiasts will help you stay motivated.
- Fit Radio — Studies show music can help increase effort and stamina during exercise.3 If a good music playlist motivates you to exercise, then Fit Radio is for you. This app provides new high-energy playlists every day, plus their coach-guided workouts put a coach in your ear pushing you through the toughest parts of your workout. Whether it’s the perfect playlist, the beat syncing with your strike or a coach who won’t let you quit, Fit Radio has everything you need to take your workout to the next level.
- Map My Fitness — Track and map your workouts with help from Map My Fitness. The app provides feedback and stats for every mile you go, plus helps you discover new workout routes and save or share your favorites. With over 600 different sports on the app to choose from, you can gain in-depth insights on every workout including pace, distance, duration, calorie burn and more.
- Strong Workout Tracker Gym Log — Known as one of the simplest, most intuitive fitness apps in the app store, Strong Workout Tracker Gym Log is designed to help you get better results from your workouts. This app allows you to track and log the details of your strength workouts, from your sets and reps to your PRs. Whether you’re new to strength training—or you’re more advanced—this app provides everything you need to log your strength workouts.
- SweatWorking — Workout whenever, wherever and however you want with SweatWorking. This app gives you access to thousands of audio and video recordings from top trainers in a number of fitness styles, including running, strength, yoga, high-intensity training, barre and more. This app even motivates you to stay accountable by booking your workouts in your phone calendar.
- Sworkit — Here’s another great app for fitness beginners! With Sworkit, you can tell the app what type of workout you want to do (strength, cardio, yoga, stretching, etc.) and how much time you have. Then the app shows you what to do. No gym, weights or equipment needed!
- Waterlogged — When it comes to establishing a workout regimen, hydration is essential. This app provides personalized charts and reminders to help you stay healthy and hydrated. Simply take photos of your preferred drinking vessel (whether it’s a water bottle or coffee mug) and check in on the app when you finish your water. The app will then automatically track your hydration levels throughout the day. Push notifications and progress graphs will help you track your daily goals.
Your personal trainer is in your pocket!
Ready to kick your fitness into high gear? Give one of these 11 fitness apps a shot!
1Florida Today, Get ready for the health crush as people begin New Year’s resolutions, https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2019/01/01/get-ready-health-crush-people-begin-new-years-resolutions/2427461002/, January 1, 2019.
2U.S. News & World Report, How Long Does It Really Take to Make Healthy Eating and Exercise a Habit?, https://health.usnews.com/wellness/food/articles/2017-04-28/how-long-does-it-really-take-to-make-healthy-eating-and-exercise-a-habit, April 28, 2017.
3Psychology Today, The Many Health and Sleep Benefits of Music, https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sleep-newzzz/201812/the-many-heath-and-sleep-benefits-music, December 13, 2018.