7 valuable skills learned from a career in sales
August 1, 2016
Starting your career is an exciting time full of new possibilities and potential. But with endless choices, it can be overwhelming honing in on the career path that’s best for you.
If you’re a motivated self-starter ready for a fast-paced and rewarding career, sales might be the perfect way to launch a long and fruitful career.
A career in sales provides many perks, including high compensation potential, flexible scheduling, work-life balance and the sense of accomplishment that comes with building your own business. Here at Bankers Life, our agents also enjoy the satisfaction of providing clients with solutions that help them make the most of their retirement through products that they want and need. Our agents also enjoy ongoing award-winning training that landed Bankers Life on Training magazine’s Top 125 list.
Launching a career in sales can also help you develop a valuable skill set that will transfer to any job, no matter where your career path takes you. Here are seven of these valuable skills:
1. Entrepreneurship—In many ways, a career in sales is much like running your own business. This entrepreneurial spirit will be valuable no matter where your career takes you.
2. Prospecting—The communication skills you learn from prospecting are highly sought after across many careers.
3. Presentation style—Mastering your verbal presentation will help you if you’re selling a product to a customer, or an idea to your boss.
4. Rapport building—Learning to see eye-to-eye with clients is a valuable life skill that will help you in any career.
5. Overcoming objections—The ability to handle client concerns and objections can help during any pitch.
6. Organization—After learning to juggle everything a career in sales throws at you—scheduling, paperwork, emails and electronic files—you’ll be ready to tackle any job that has many moving parts.
7. Persistence—Persistence is the key to any business.
Does a career in sales sound like it might be right for you? Learn more here about the exciting opportunities a career at Bankers Life can offer!